In one of our recent polls, we asked MPSL students their opinion on whether AIG executives should return bailout money. 68% agree with the proposition; 25% disagree; and 7% say they are not sure if the company’s executives should return the bailout money. In a similar poll USA Today/Gallup Poll asked “How much of the bonus money already paid to AIG executives should be returned?” 69% of respondents say all of it; 13% say half of it; 12% say none of it; and 6% say they are unsure of how much of the money should be returned. Results were retrieved on 3/29/09, 8:00 PM PST.
Some think that the attempt by Congress to impose a 90% excise tax on AIG executives’ bonuses might result in a backlash. What do you think?
Thousands of people marched through European cities Saturday to demand jobs, economic justice and environmental accountability, kicking off six days of protest and action planned in the run-up to the G20 summit next week in London. (3/28/09 The Associated Press, Dean Carson) … Read Article
1. Discuss the implication of the statement by Christian Evans, “The streets are our streets.”
2. What do the protesters mean by “Capitalism is a mistake?”
Calling the situation in Afghanistan “increasingly perilous,” President Barack Obama announced an increase in U.S. forces in Afghanistan and said the United States and its allies must embrace a singular mission in the region: to “disrupt, dismantle, and defeat” al Qaeda and destroy its safe haven in the region. (3/27/09 ABC News, Jake Tapper, Karen Travers, and Kirit Radia) … Read Article
1. Discuss the Obama administration’s proposed alternative to drug trade in Afghanistan.
2. Discuss Obama’s new strategy in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
There’s nothing like a brutal recession to reinforce the value of a good education. (3/25/09 The Northerner, Northern Kentucky U., Jack Z. Smith) … Read Article
1. What, according to the article, are the mixed emotions about Obama’s recent exhortation on education?
2. Discuss Obama’s praise for the GI Bill.
President Barack Obama assured the nation Saturday that he was keeping tabs on floods roiling the Midwest and putting the federal government’s weight behind efforts to avert disaster. (3/28/09 The Associated )
1. Which agencies are coordinating the federal government’s response to the flood emergency?
2. Who, according to President Obama, is assisting with the construction of levees?
The Obama administration is proposing an extensive overhaul of financial regulations in an effort to prevent a repeat of the banking crisis last fall that toppled once-mighty institutions and wiped out trillions of dollars in investor wealth. (3/26/09 The Associated Press)
1. Discuss the benefits of more regulation according to the Hedge Funds manager in New York.
2. According to Art Hogan, what would have been the effect of Geithner’s proposed regulation on AIG, Bear Stearns, and Lehman Brothers?
The world should consider adopting the Nordic approach to capitalism and learn from the region’s response to its financial and economic crisis in the 1990s in the attempt to stave off recession, according to the chairman of two of Europe’s biggest companies. (3/22/09 Financial Times, Richard Milne) … Read Article
1. Identify the two characteristics of the Nordic model of capitalism according to Richard Milne.
2. Discuss the actions taken by Nordic politicians in the 1990s to address their financial and economic crisis.
Last week’s poll asked MPSL students their opinion on whether Obama is addressing too many issues at the same time. 52% said no; 41% think he is addressing too many issues while 7% said they don’t know. In a similar poll by CNN/Opinion Research Corporation, 55% of the people questioned say Obama has tried to handle more issues than he should; 43% say he hasn’t bitten off more than he can chew. Results were retrieved on 3/22/09, 8:00 PM PST.
In your opinion, what should the President and Congress focus on at this time?
Barack Obama has defended his economic policies amid growing criticism of the financial rescue plans proposed by his administration (3/23/09 Al Jazeera, Rosalind Jordan)
1. Discuss the criticism of the Treasury Secretary.
2. Discuss the criticism of the Treasury Secretary by Senator Richard Shelby.
Bill Gates speaking truth to power in his Harvard speech (7/19/07 Wall Street Journal)
1. Discuss Bill Gates’ idea of “creative capitalism.”
2. Discuss Bill Gates’ prescription for reducing human inequity.