In one of our recent polls MPSL students were asked their opinion on how much the government is spending to fix the economy. 68% think the government is spending too much; 10% think they are spending too little; while 22% think the government is spending just the right amount in their attempt to fix the economy. In a similar poll by AP-Gfk, 49% of Americans chose increasing government spending on education, health care reform, and the development of alternative energy sources as a higher priority over reducing the federal deficit. For the full poll result visit http://www.pollingreport.com/budget.htm Results were retrieved on 4/26/09, 8:00 PM PST.
While most Americans believe that the government should do more to solve the economic crisis, there is no agreement on how much taxpayers money should be spent on this effort. What factors do you think account for this seeming contradiction?
Cleaning crews spent the day scrubbing down every desk, chair and classroom at a New York City high school. Infected students wore surgical masks as they recovered in their beds. Anxious parents woke their children at night to check their temperature. (4/26/09 Associated Press, Karen Matthews) … Read Article
1. Discuss the apparent connection between the swine flu incidents in the U.S. and Mexico.
2. Who is the Homeland Security Secretary? What action has the federal government taken to address the swine flu outbreak?
The Faculty Council of the University of Missouri met Thursday to discuss several issues, including a House bill that would allow concealed weapons to be carried on campus at public universities. (4/24/09 The Maneater, U.Missouri, Angela Case) … Read Article
1. Discuss the debate over the minimum age for conceal and carry permits.
2. “Some supporters of the bill believe banning concealed carry is a violation of their personal rights.” Discuss the constitutional right referred to in this statement.
A new study finds that Americans are downsizing their list of things considered essential. (4/26/09 CBSNewsOnline, Charles Osgood)
1. Discuss the difference in the proportionof Americans who say a cell phone is a necessity in 2006 and 2009.
2. Discuss the factors responsible for Americans cutting back on what they consider as bare necessities.
Taliban forces have seized a considerable amount of power in Pakistan, which has sparked international fears due to that nation’s access to nuclear weapons. (4/25/09 CBSNewsOnline, Lara Logan)
1. Discuss the key aim of the Taliban fighters according to the video.
2. Discuss the different opinions of Pakistanis on the Taliban.
In a recent poll MPSL students were asked their opinion on Obama’s handling of the pirate-hostage crisis. 48% gave the President an “A” grade for his handling of the crisis; 15% gave him a “B”; 9% gave him a “C”; 10% gave him a “D”; while 18% gave him “F” grade. Results were retrieved on 4/19/09, 8:00 PM PST.
While the crew of the the US merchant ship praised their captain for his heroic act, the captain credits the US Navy for his rescue. Discuss the role of the Navy Seals in the successful rescue of Captain Phillips.
President Barack Obama concluded his trip to Latin America today, but not before affirming his hopes that the overtures of the Summit of the Americas are only the beginning of a larger shift in the relations within the region. (4/19/09 ABC News, Jake Tapper and Emily Friedman) … Read Article
1. How would you characterize the behavior of Venezuela’s President Hugo Chavez?
2. Some critics of Obama believe that opening up dialogue with a government that had previously been hostile to the US demonstrates weakness. What do you think?
Seeking to move beyond what he calls a “a dark and painful chapter in our history,” President Barack Obama said Thursday that CIA officials who used harsh interrogation tactics during the Bush administration will not be prosecuted. (4/16/09 Associated Press, Jennifer Loven and Devlin Barrett) … Read Article
1. Discuss the controversies surrounding the release of the torture memos.
2. What is the Freedom of Information Act? Discuss its Constitutional significance.