On July 1, a new federal program aimed at easing the monthly burden on college graduates making hefty loan payments on modest salaries will take effect. (6/23/09 ABC News, David McPherson) … Read Article
1. Discuss the eligibility for the Income Based Repaymant program.
2. Discuss the student loans that are exempted from the program.
Obama made a push Wednesday for evidence-based medicine and a reduction in health care costs in the United States, but skeptics and many Republicans remain unconvinced his plans will work. (6/25/09 ABC News, Jake Tapper and Karen Travers) … Read Article
1. Discuss the biggest criticisms of Obama’s proposed health care plan.
2. “One option being considered on Capitol Hill is taxing health care benefits, which are currently tax exempt.” Discuss the implications of the proposal to tax health care benefits.
For the millions of Americans without heath insurance, every day presents a danger. What if you get sick? This is one American’s story… (5/7/09 Current)
1. Discuss Dr. Keller’s view of our health care system and his proposed solution.
2. Discuss how the U.S. health care system compares with other industrialized countries.
On Monday, Bernard Madoff, architect of the world’s biggest financial fraud, a $65bn “Ponzi” scheme that ruined thousands of investors, will learn his fate. (6/28/09 Financial Times, Joanna Chung) … Read Article
1. Madoff’s lawyer argues that 12 years in prison would be sufficient punishment for his client. What do you think?
2. What lesson can ordinary citizens learn from the Madoff incident?
Despite public support for an optional public health insurance plan, President Obama’s plan to include one in his health-care bill is facing intensified opposition on Capitol Hill. (6/21/09 ABC News, John Hendren) … Read Article
1. Discuss the Republicans’ primary objection to Obama’s plan.
2. Discuss the role of Chris Dodd in the Senate’s healthcare reform bill.
With $100 billion in stimulus funds to spend on education in the next two years, no other education secretary has had so much money to attempt to fix what ails the nation’s struggling school system in such a short amount of time. (6/19/09 ABC News, Jennifer Parker) … Read Article
1. Discuss the main criticisms of the No Child Left Behind according to the article.
2. According to Chavous of DC Children First, the only reason to be against the DC voucher program is politics. Discuss the politics surrounding school vouchers.
An eerie calm settled over the streets of Tehran Sunday as state media reported at least 10 more deaths in post-election unrest. (6/21/09 Associated Press)
1. Discuss the potential political implications of the post-election protest for the Iranian supreme leader.
2. Iran has imposed strict control on foreign media covering the unrest. What does this action by the government say about civil liberties in the country?