On July 1, a new federal program aimed at easing the monthly burden on college graduates making hefty loan payments on modest salaries will take effect. (6/23/09 ABC News, David McPherson) … Read Article
1. Discuss the eligibility for the Income Based Repaymant program.
2. Discuss the student loans that are exempted from the program.
Obama made a push Wednesday for evidence-based medicine and a reduction in health care costs in the United States, but skeptics and many Republicans remain unconvinced his plans will work. (6/25/09 ABC News, Jake Tapper and Karen Travers) … Read Article
1. Discuss the biggest criticisms of Obama’s proposed health care plan.
2. “One option being considered on Capitol Hill is taxing health care benefits, which are currently tax exempt.” Discuss the implications of the proposal to tax health care benefits.
For the millions of Americans without heath insurance, every day presents a danger. What if you get sick? This is one American’s story… (5/7/09 Current)
1. Discuss Dr. Keller’s view of our health care system and his proposed solution.
2. Discuss how the U.S. health care system compares with other industrialized countries.
On Monday, Bernard Madoff, architect of the world’s biggest financial fraud, a $65bn “Ponzi” scheme that ruined thousands of investors, will learn his fate. (6/28/09 Financial Times, Joanna Chung) … Read Article
1. Madoff’s lawyer argues that 12 years in prison would be sufficient punishment for his client. What do you think?
2. What lesson can ordinary citizens learn from the Madoff incident?