In one of our recent polls, MPSL students were asked their opinion on what the health care reform focus should be. 39% said health care reform should focus on controlling cost; 36% said the focus should be on expanding coverage; while 25% said reform should focus on improving services. In a similar poll by ABC News/Washington Post Poll, 51% of Americans feel it is necessary for the government to reform health care to control cost and expand coverage; 46% feel government reform will do more harm than good; while 3% said they are unsure of the effect that government reform of health care would have. For the full poll report http://www.pollingreport.com/health.htm Results were retrieved on 8/29/09, 8:00 PM PST.
Some critics of health care reform say it will create so called “death panels” (government organizations that will decide who will and whoo will not receive health services when they are critically ill). Do you think this allegation is true or not true?
After five years of active duty in the Army and four days into his second year at the University of Iowa, Drew Mangler is unsure how he will pay his rent. (8/27/09 The Daily Iowan, U. Iowa, Shane Ersland) … Read Article
1. Discuss the efforts made by UI to accommodate student veterans experiencing delay in Post 9/11 GI Bill financial aid.
2. “On Monday, the Veterans Affairs Web site showed 211,251 veteran applications for financial aid still pending. At this time last year, there were 43,522.” Discuss what might account for the dramatic increase in applications.
Contra Costa County Sheriff Warren E. Rupf admitted Friday that his officers missed a chance to find Jaycee Lee Dugard back in 2006. Dugard was reunited with her family Thursday, after being kidnapped in 1991. (8/28/09 Associated Press)
1. Discuss the opportunity missed by the Contra Costa County Sheriff to rescue the kidnapped girl in 2006.
2. Discuss the lessons that could be learned from this experience regarding dealing with missing persons’ complaints.
Microsoft said it had won a major battle against software piracy in China after four people were on Thursday sentenced to jail for illegal reproduction and distribution of the Windows XP software through a website called “Tomato Garden”. (8/21/09 Financial Times, Justine Lau) … Read Article
1. Discuss the implications of the judgement for online piracy group in China.
2. According to the article, what other types of products are pirated in China? What impact does this practice have on US-China trade relations?