For the college student who has trouble writing notes while listening to a professor talk, or has skipped class and missed an important lesson, take heart — someone out there is taking notes for you. (7/22/10 ABCNews On Campus, Amy Rigby) … Read Article
1. A 2008 lawsuit claims that Class Notes violated copyright laws. Do you agree or disagree with the claim? Why or Why not?
2. “Founders of both GradeGuru and Notehall say their sites are meant to be a supplement for students who are serious about their studies.” Discuss what might be the pitfall of these sites for “serious students.”
In a country where racism is entrenched and often violent, Sagbo’s election as one of Novozavidovo’s 10 municipal councilors is a milestone. (7/25/10 Associated Press, Kristina Narizhnaya) … Read Article
1. The media in Russia has dubbed Sagbo “Russia’s Obama.” Discuss the implication of this title for racial politics in both the US and Russia.
2. Discuss the reasons many blacks are attracted to go to Russia in spite of the entrenched racism and violence, according to the article.
The Army specialist allegedly behind one of the most massive intelligence breaches in U.S. history likely did not act alone, according to the man the soldier approached to publicize the more than 90,000 reports of classified information. (7/26/10 ABC News, Martha Raddatz and Lee Ferran) … Read Article
1. The White House has condemned the leak as “irresponsible” disclosure. Do you agree with this characterization or do you think this leak falls under the public’s right to know? Explain your answer.
2. Do you agree with Assange, founder of wikileaks, that this war log leak will help the American public to “take steps to address the problems” going on with the war? Explain your answer.
Looking for a place to take advantage of the recovery? Try Texas. The Lone Star state’s major metro areas — Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston and San Antonio — are all emerging from the recession better than their counterparts in many areas of the country. (7/25/10 Forbes.com, Brian Wingfield in ABC News) … Read Article
1. Discuss the reasons why job growth in the Northeast is likely to be more depressed in the next few years than in other regions of the country.
2. Discuss the factors contributing to the rapid recovery in Texas according to the article.
Dana Priest, investigative reporter for the Washington Post, spoke with Jan Crawford on the ever increasing size of the government’s intelligence community. (7/19/10 CBSNewsOnline)
1. According to the video, one of the most shocking discovery from the investigation is the existence of overlapping agencies doing the same thing. Discuss the consequences of this problem for the American tax payers.
2. A high level intelligent official is quoted as saying that “the only entity in the entire universe that has visibility on all Special Access Programs is God.” Discuss the implication of this “confession” in terms of the effectiveness of federal government agencies.
Presidential vacation criticism is a time-honored tradition and President Obama could not escape it when he took his family to Maine for the weekend. (7/19/10 CBSNewsOnline)
1. Discuss why presidential vacations are essential according to Doris Kearns Goodwin.
2. Why did the Clintons change their vacation destination from Maine to Wyoming.