It is now five years since Katrina wreaked havoc on New Orleans and while the city is in some senses still rebuilding, for tourists it is stronger than ever. What does post-Katrina New Orleans look like? What has changed and what remains the same? (8/28/10 ABC News, Scott Mayerowitz) … Read Article
1. What impact did Katrina have on the tourism industry in New Orleans?
2. How has Katrina affected the population of New Orleans?
The U.S. birth rate dropped for the second year in a row since the recession began in 2007. Births fell 2.6 percent last year even as the population grew, numbers released Friday by the National Center for Health Statistics show. Is it the recession or a choice that women made to not have children? (8/28/10 Associated Press, Marilynn Marchione) … Read Article
1. How does the U.S. birth rate compare with that of wealthy Germany, Britain and France?
2. Compare last year’s birth rate to the 1930s, 1980s, 1990s and 2001. Give specific figures.
The recent financial fiasco with big banks leaves consumers now having a second thought about doing business with banks. The Early Show’s financial contributor Vera Gibbons compares banks and credit unions. Would a credit union be a better alternative for you? (12/17/2009 CBSNewsOnline)
1. How would you determine which credit union to join. What are some specific signs to look for?
2. Compare bank and credit union rates for car loans and home loans as reported in the video. How do credit unions compare with banks in overall satisfaction rate?